Monday, February 24, 2014

eggplants and flow

The kitchen is my happy place. I realize of course that a happy place is a metaphor for a state of mind, however, achieving that state of mind – at least for me – has a great deal to do with existing in flow. Flow is that time that passes unmarked when you’re completely engaged in something, and your problems, at least temporarily, are put aside. For me this means engaging my mind and my hands.  

It was a productive weekend in the kitchen. I finally managed to make the Marrakesh Stew that I’ve wanted to make for more than a week. I also made a cake, four regular meals, two batches of scones, egg salad for today’s lunch, and started breakfast for this morning.

Did you know that an eggplant can look perfectly fine from the exterior and be discolored and rotting on the inside? I didn’t until I cut into two such specimens last night. At some point I’m going to learn not to buy produce at the big box store, even if it looks perfectly fine. For now, however, I’m out $5.00.

I have four days until our next payday, and I’m a bit ashamed to say, absolutely no plan for what we’re going to eat between now and then. I do know that I haven’t had pasta in more than a week, which is a long time for me. So, there’s a start…

No comments:

Post a Comment