Thursday, February 27, 2014

...including moderation

It’s important that I write my journal before the business of the day begins. I seem to be getting pulled in multiple directions this week, leaving very little time to relax in the kitchen. Last night saw a repeat of the Marrakesh Stew, which was just as good – if not better – than the first time.

Yesterday was a difficult day mentally and as a result I ate too much, a total of three scones spread through the day, topped off with a piece of cake. I never intended to avoid desserts as part of a “diet” but that number hardly reflects moderation. To compensate, I’m having a vegetable heavy salad for lunch, and tonight’s dinner is an asparagus and potato frittata.

Today I will be thumbing through books and formulating a menu/plan for the weekend and into next week. My husband has picked up another class as a substitute for the next two to three weeks. This will extend his workday on Tuesdays and Thursdays, add an hour commute in each direction and it looks like I’ll need to cook ahead for the entire week, not just Mondays and Wednesdays. It makes for two long days in the kitchen.

Spring break is only one week away, and I am ready for a rest from all the driving. It will, however, bring a full week of preparing meals for four instead of two, and it will be even harder to keep to our mostly veggie lifestyle. I am determined to cook the food that I want to eat, but I expect significant resistance from the elder members of the household who adhere to a firm regiment of one meat, one starch and one vegetable.


I’ll have to be clever, and maybe spend some extra time in the gym to compensate for the extra stress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment