Monday, February 3, 2014

monday perhaps



I feel strangely obligated to complain that it’s Monday. Perhaps it’s a leftover impulse from my working 9 – 5 days, although being in floral design and event planning that kind of stricture never really applied. It truth, the work of a home cook and caregiver is perpetual, which is to say, I “work” everyday. Perhaps it’s just a ploy for validation and solidarity with the working world outside my home, and those around me who must plod off to their weekday jobs.  

The worst think about Monday, perhaps, is the weight my own expectations for the week: the list making and note writing; and the wondering how it’s all going to get done. This isn’t Eastern philosophy, but perhaps Monday’s often suck because I am predisposed to thinking they will, and therefore they do. In reality, today is a cold and bright winter day, the snow from this weekend is still clinging to the trees which will make for a beautiful drive to campus this afternoon. I am, for example, far more upset that the charge point on my iPhone is dying, which is an ongoing stressor than I am about it being Monday. Perhaps, like the Grinch, how I feel about Monday is completely about my own attitude and nothing else, it is, after-all, an opportunity to mark a new beginning every single week.  

Per my iPhone 4 - yes you read that right I’m two generations behind on my technology - the charge point is part of the main circuit board and cannot be repaired. At this point there is a fairly complicated ritual involved that includes the right facial expression, the cord wrapped around the phone at the correct angle, and the correct combination of curse words, to get it to charge. I fear, every single day, that today will be the day it does not work. As for replacing the unit, I know I will have to, but I really am hoping to continue this dangerous dance until our tax returns come in. One final word before I leave the subject, I really think it’s an irresponsible kind of built in obsolescence to put the interface point directly on the main circuit board. I am sure for design purposes it makes perfect sense, however, how many iPhones go into the landfill and recycling* each year because of this flaw? The rest of the technology was perfectly serviceable, is that kind of waste really necessary?  I don’t usually get on my green soap box, but if we’re going to have any kind of a future on this planet we really need to think about how we’re making personal technologies – like the cell phone – now! 

*A great deal of the recycled tech in this country is sitting around in vast warehouses with no one buying and using it to manufacture a new product. Many of the companies end up closing down and the phone you took the time and care to recycle ends up dumped into a landfill, or worse. 

Finally, in an attempt to bring this journal entry back to the main topic of my blog, I talked to the family about my food plan. I don’t expect to impose my ideas on them, I have tried and failed, but since I feed them three or more days per week, I thought it fair to at least give them a head up. In response to that conversation, my mother-in-law came home with half a dozen paczki. OK, it wasn’t in direct response to the conversation about us needing to loose weight, but it was suspicious. My husband had mentioned that we both liked paczki, and that he was looking forward to Paczki Day. She saw the paczki at the grocery store, and bought them: not exactly diabolical behavior! Accept, that I’m the one with no self control who will be lying in bed at night bathed in my own cold sweat, as the paczki call to me from the kitchen upstairs in a creepy, come hither, “I see dead people,” kind of way, until I finally break down and eat one!   

Paczki Day, (punch-key) for those of you unfamiliar with the treat, and the event, is a means of celebrating Shrove Tuesday - the last Tuesday before the Lenten fast. In Canada and the UK it is also known as Pancake Tuesday. This year, it falls on March 4th, but paczki have already begun appearing everywhere here in Michigan, and will be on grocery store shelves until Easter. The fact that they appear so soon, and are kept around throughout Lent, kind of cheapens them. They are meant to be one final splurge before a time of deprivation, not something to dunk in your morning coffee.  

Oatmeal for breakfast; leftover veggie pizza for lunch; and a sweet potato, and green bean salad with yogurt and lentils for dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment