Monday, February 17, 2014

hurry up, slow down, catch up

Weight in: 255 lbs

I’m pleased that the plan is still working. If I’m being honest, I’ve been even more zealous with the vegetarian days - which numbered five last week - than I had planned.  The thing is, I don’t really miss it. Don’t get me wrong, I can’t image an entire life without roast chicken, all beef hamburgers, or BBQ pork, but for the majority of the time, I’d be satisfied skipping the meat altogether. I’m not in a rush to put a label on myself, suffice it to say I’d be very happy to eat smaller amounts of the good stuff, less often, rather than eat the crappy stuff every day. No surprises there.

And, while I’m being honest, I haven’t been as active as I’d hoped to be either, which I will definitely need to work on. For today, however, I am very sore from scrapping the snow ruts and ice off of the driveway in preparation for more snow that’s coming today. I should also be headed to the gym for some more intense cardio and core strength training, but this winter, snow removal seems to be sufficient to keep me popping Aleve and smearing on the Aspercreme.

What was supposed to be a very productive weekend turned out to be an absolute bust. I won’t go into details, because they aren’t important. A situation arose in which I should have been more assertive, and I was not. Now I’ll be spending the better part of the next couple days trying to get back on track. It all goes to show, you can have the best intentions and planning, but it doesn’t mean a thing if you don’t execute the plan.

My youngest nieces are on spring break this week. It seems obscenely early, but since their grandparents – my in-laws – are going to be out of town babysitting for the next three days, I am not going to complain. Certainly, having less distractions and interruptions will only help me get things done.

I made steel cut oatmeal for breakfast with apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. This is only possible because I use an overnight soaking method on the oatmeal before I cook it. Using a three to one ration – water to oats – I bring the water to a boil and add the oats. Then I immediately cover the pan and remove it from the heat allowing it to soak until morning. When I wake up I have a pan full of plump cut oats. I add one portion of milk, bring the oatmeal to a simmer and cook it for ten minutes.  I add sugar and any spices I want in the last minute or two of cooking, and then top each serving with fruit. The traditional method of cooking steel cut oats is to “cook over medium/low heat for 50 – 60 minutes stirring constantly.” Getting myself out of bed an hour earlier just so I can make oatmeal is a complete non-starter.

For two:
½ cup steel cut oats
1 ½ cups water
- pinch of salt

Bring to a boil, cover and soak over night.

Add:
½ cup milk
1 – 2 tbsp brown sugar, honey, maple syrup to taste

In the morning, cook ten minutes over medium/low heat stirring occasionally. Serve topped with your choice of fruit and nuts.

I am very much looking forward to lunch today because I’m eating at Lebanese Grill. They are a family owned restaurant that serves up tons of vegetarian options. It’s real food, made with care, for very little money. Two people can eat, and eat well, for under $20.00. How could you complain?

No comments:

Post a Comment